According to Glenn Reynolds: "Liberty Dog is a minarchist libertarian with Objectivist tendencies, but I can't even get my dog to crap outside."

Contact me: Email

MSN Messenger: libertydog05
Yahoo! Messenger: libertydog05
ICQ: 222456716
Skype: libertydog

Syndication feeds:



Saturday, April 23, 2005

Stupid White Bands

I'm sure that you've seen them, those stupid white bands popping up on blogs of all persuasions. They link to causes like Blogs for Terri and Make Poverty History and who knows how many others.

For some reason, they just annoy me. Therefore, I decided to make this parody of them. I even made it better than the originals. Some of the originals are just a transparent .GIF sitting in the top corner and have a hyperlink on the entire image even the transparent part. Some, move a step up by using an image map so that only the band itself is clickable, but it is still fixed to the top corner of the page. If you scroll down you can no longer see either of those.

I have made mine static relative to the screen. If you scroll, it comes with you. The only problem is that Google bar that Blogspot throws in at the top of the blog. It makes a portion of it initially hidden, but when you scroll it looks right, the other option was too make it entirely visible from the start, but then when you scroll there would be a big gap.

At any rate, it was a fun little project for me this afternoon.

UPDATE: Hmm...it is working great in Opera, it shows up in IE but doesn't move, and in FF it is on the wrong side and doesn't move. I tested it on another website in all three and it worked fine. It also worked fine when I did a template preview in FF. I'll have to figure out what's wrong. Dammit, I am liking Blogger less and less these days.

UPDATE 2: Well, it looks like it may not be Blogger directly, but how the script interacts with the CSS template. Back to the drawing board. I am going to temporarily disable my band.

UPDATE 3: OK, I have come up with a workaround while the JS I originally used is being modified. The band should now work in everything but IE, in which it appears, but does not move.

Update 4: Success! I learned a new CSS property today that solved the problem of the band being stuck under the Google bar.

The Neolibertarian Network


Copyright © S Michael Moore 2005